John 9 - 12 - Encountering the Word
“Encountering the Word” 7 Studies in John 9 – 12
You can view the PDF of these 7 Bible studies below, or see sample text from one stufy at the bottom of the page.
Sample questions from this study guide:
John 12:37 – 50
Belief and Unbelief
- Can you recall a time when you were swayed by the opinion of the majority against your better judgment?
What was the outcome?
- In many countries it’s illegal for Christians to gather publicly. Do you think believers there should meet in public and face the consequences, or keep their faith private?
Read John 12:37 – 50
- Knowing John’s purpose in recording the signs that Jesus performed (see John 20:30 – 31) what is John saying about the people he describes in verse 37?
- Why is “the arm of the Lord” coupled with the message from God in the quotation from Isaiah 53?
In Isaiah you’ll find “the LORD” indicating God’s personal name.
- How do the two quotes from Isaiah shed light on Jesus’ ministry so far in John’s gospel?
- How would you respond to one of these Jewish religious leaders who might say “Isaiah proves that it’s God’s fault I didn’t believe in Jesus”?
- How can John, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, say that Isaiah “saw Jesus’ glory” (v 41)?
- How does John’s statement about Isaiah seeing Jesus’ glory shape our understanding of Old Testament prophecy more broadly?
- How is it that Jesus can say that to believe in him is to believe in the Father, “who sent me” (v 44)?
- What have you learned about God the Father through hearing Jesus’ words in John’s gospel?
- If you heard someone making the claims that Jesus makes in verses 44 – 46, what would you think?
- What kind of evidence would it take for you to believe the sorts of claims Jesus makes here?
- How has John been assembling this evidence throughout his gospel account?
- In what ways does the love of praise from other people hinder us from receiving the praise of God?
- And what does the praise of God sound like, anyway?!
- When people we know steadfastly refuse to believe in Jesus, what encouragement is there in this passage for us?
- How does John 12 spur us on in our evangelistic efforts?
Click the download button above to download this PDF document for free.